If you want to save 30-50% on your health insurance and you haven’t heard of MediShare or Samaritan Ministries, they are well worth checking out. They are both Christian communities paying other member’s medical bills in the spirit of Ephesians 4:28:
“He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.”
These non-profits are NOT insurance, but they are exempt from the new health care reforms and they will pay your medical bills based on the plan you select. You must apply (not everyone is accepted) and maintain a Biblical lifestyle to remain eligible for coverage. This means you must profess to be a Christian, abstain from alcohol, tobacco or drug abuse and refrain from sex outside of a Christian marriage.
Each month, you pay your “share” and they will send you a newsletter telling you exactly who your money went to, what was wrong with them, what was done, and how you can pray for them. When you need it, your bills will be covered.
- The reviews from people who use it are fantastic
- Most families save $2,000 a year in health care premiums
- You are exempt from the new health care reform
- You are covered up to $1 million
- You are being a good steward
- Your coverage/deductible are better (see below of caveat)
What You Should Know
- Medi-Share doesn’t share in all costs. All members vote on a yearly basis what costs to share. Routine physicals and health maintenance costs are currently not eligible for sharing
- Prior health conditions are not covered. If you sign up and have been taking medication for high blood pressure, it will not be covered. Only medical conditions that begin after joining are eligible.
- It does involve a little more legwork than normal insurance
Potential Monthly Savings: $50 – $200